- Do you have friends? Do they have a spare bedroom/lengthy sofa/space for a blow up mattress? Stay with them! Take them wine/chocolates/flowers.
- Look out for hostels in the area.
- Never stay in pubs (unless you KNOW they will be quiet) – even if they are cheap and nearby sometimes they don’t close until 2 am and someone outside your window can spend hours breaking up with their girlfriend – not the best start to your 9 am paper.
- Try finding student rooms when going during a holiday – either officially through a University website or unofficially through the Studentrooms.
- If you’re going to The National Archives at Kew and have no handy friends try this little-known site.
- Two or more of you going? Try finding a holiday let. Sounds odd, but at low season they can be quite cheap: Airbnb, Holidaylettings, Homeaway and OwnersDirect can be useful places.